All About Dawn

Sunday, September 24, 2006

That Little Girl - Part 2

During my dad absence, relatives made sure they compared my progress in studies to their daughters. I did not understand why till today. Anyway, they always had something to talk about my mum and me. Then without being taught, I realised I can see a person's heart through their eyes. I was a very quiet child because I thought I can see better when I just focus on their eyes regardless of what they said with their mouth. Eyes said much often, we may or may not realise it.

Anyway, they thought since I was very quiet I may not understand what was going around but I do. I had an uncle and it was my 2nd uncle- the 2nd brother of my mum who died of cancer when I was in Secondary 2. He was maybe one of the few that was really nice. He had a family, 3 children in fact and a wife. Whenever he had a family outing, he would bring me along with his family. I enjoyed those outings because mum would be so busy with her work, maybe the only time she brought me out would be during Chinese New Year.

Whenever I went out for a meal with my uncle and his family, I remembered that I would try not to eat too much, in fact eat as little as possible so that the rest of his family would not think that I was imposing upon them. Yet this uncle always made sure my bowl was full. I remembered there was an outing to Kusu island. His wife brought along his sister and mother and now the car was really packed. Well, including me, to squeeze 6 persons at the back was a tall order. Then my uncle and his wife had an argrument and no doubt was about leaving me behind since I was the 'outsider'. My kind uncle insisted that I came along and I went. But during the car journey, I felt so bad. I never wanted to be so imposing and I did not know how to tell them it was okie for me not to go. For all his kindness, I remembered. Honestly, that was why if any of his children approached me for help, I yet to say no ... ... and 2 of his 3 children remained close as cousins. In fact, I think both brothers took after their father's kindness and compassion.

Kindness begets kindness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home