All About Dawn

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Meeting Kent Yesterday

I had always enjoy the dinners with Kent.

We meet 2 to 3 times a year to catch up on events happening in our own lives,about life in general and the good old memories.

Kent is my ex-boyfriend. I first knew him when I was just a 18 years old young lady. We broke up of course, when I reached 21 for reasons both of us could not really pinpoint now. We were not unique in this instance as many people never really remember the reasons why they broke off with that somebody in their life many years later. Maybe the 'whys' in life are not as important as we make them out to be especially when time did the work of mending the so-called hurts.

Last evening, we made a pact. We told each other jokingly that if one day either one of us ever had dementia, the other one wouldl try his/her best to remind the other of the good old times. Maybe we had reached a stage where we felt that memories are important. We revisited memories not because we could not get over that phase in life but rather memories formed a part of us. Revisiting them reminded you of a part of you, an ideal of yours that you yourself may have forgotten. Who we are now is a connection of memories. The memories good and bad define who we are in one way or another. Personally, I think losing memories is a scary thing. At least I do not want to live life looking back and realise it is blank.

I talked to someone on Tuesday. He shared an experience he had at a camp many years back. I think that experience made him who he is now and the memories he had of that experience is not just a recollection of things that happened but the emotions that involved in that experience. I was happy for him. He kept something from that experience with him. He may not had realised it but I heard the relating of that same experience from him 4 years ago. I did not stop him from sharing because the recollection of details is similar but the description of emotions are different when come to density and variety. I think I heard him deeper and clearer this time compared to 4 years ago.

As we walk through life's journey, new experiences and emotions allow us to gain a deeper understanding of life, of our own memories The experiences do bring a new dimension to the old recollections.

As we parted for the evening to our own partners, as usual, I am glad I had him as my friend.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home