All About Dawn

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Is honesty the best policy?

Since young, we are taught the phrase " Honesty is the best policy". Ya, sure.

People will tell you that they are open, they appreciate honesty and they are ready to accept your sharing. So you did just that, before long, you found out you had lost a friend or in some cases they keep a distance.

Okie, we have come to an age where we know that we are not always honest with everyone. People who you know are not there to stay, we keep our opinions to ourself. Friends or loved ones who we thought are there to stay, we shared what we really think. Sharing our opinions is like telling them, this is what I think of you, you are entitled to change that or prove me wrong. In fact, even when you are what I think of you, be it, I can accept it, because this is you.

This week, I thought to myself, maybe I will share with 2 persons what I really think of them. Not that, if they are so, I will love them less, just my thoughts.

In the beginning of the week, I shared with one close buddy what I thought is the direction of the relationship. I sensed that, that buddy most probably thought that I was asking for more when in fact I was just stating what I perceived as truth.

Next, at the end of the week, I shared what I thought with a friend what I think of her since she keep asking me for it. In fact, I checked my mail several times, ensuring there is no malice, just what I think. Then, I realised, honesty is not the best policy. She decided that it was a judgement, cried her heart out and most probably moved on to others who are not as blunt and honest as me.

In this era, is honesty such a bitter pill to swallow? Or sugar-coated candy a better choice. The good part of me is that I can dish out both, just thought that to move any relationship up the ladder of trust and love, the bitter pill is a better choice afterall the world is already full of lies and hypocrisy. As for the two I talked to this week, they want candy, I give candy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home